Monday, November 24, 2008

Essay #2 Reflection

-----The amount of time we were given to work on essay #2 helped me to improve my writing skills from essay #1. I think the reason I liked writing it more was because we were given less time to work on it and I work good under pressure. I hated writing essay #1 because I knew that since we were being given so much time I would over think it and write more than I needed to and was necessary. Essay #2 didn’t give me the chance to over think anything. Since we were being given such little time I only focused on the main points of my essay and didn’t deviate from the topic, like I did with the first essay. The constraint definitely helped me improve my writing from the first essay.

-----Essay #2 was a lot easier to write than essay #1. On essay #1 my background information was pages long and when I revised it I realized how much of that information was unnecessary, which deflected the purpose of my essay. On this essay my background information was throughout my entire paper and was fused with my main points. This helped my essay be more straightforward and to the point. My hook was also much better and engaged the reader more than in essay #1. This hook captured the reader’s attention and kept them interested, which my previous essay failed to do after the first two sentences. I mean when Craig first read my hook he said he loved it, which was really good.

-----The first essay was much easier to research than the second one. We only had to focus on one topic within the topic of Bacon’s Rebellion, which gave us more freedom in what we could say. Essay #2 it was a lot harder to research because we were given a specific colony to research and couldn’t deviate from that. Some of the information, however, did apply to all the colonies, which made the essay easier to write. We were also not allowed to research outside of databases and other reliable sources, which sometimes made it harder to find information. I liked that we were restricted to that though because we knew that the information we were receiving would be accurate and that the sources were reliable. I didn’t like my quotes as much for this essay than I did for essay #1. Although I still thought they were getting my point across and I liked them, I was happier with the quotes from my first essay. The feedback and comments that I got for this essay were much more positive than with essay #1. They helped me a lot more than the feedback I received on the first one. I think it was more helpful because we were each taking the time to read and scrutinize it. On essay #1 we were just reading it, saying it good, then moving on to the next essay because we had to read as many as we could. On the second essay we only had to read two or three essays, which helped us, focus more on what was being said. I loved the end result of essay #2 more than I could ever like essay #1.

No comments: